Friday 23 April 2010

Assault Cannon Vs. Lascannon.


A lot of people lately seem to have rediscovered Razorbacks as a form of transport.

My personal preference is for the Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun version. Twin-Linked Assault Cannons and Twin-Linked Lascannons are also common choices.

But which is best?

Obviously the first variable is going to be, best against what?

Certainly the Las/Plas version is best against Heavy Infantry and also does a pretty good job against a variety of vehicles. However against something like a Land Raider only the Lascannon is of use.
Assault Cannons are good Vs. infantry but rely on 'Rending' to kill Heavy Infantry or Armour 13 and 14 vehicles.

So as I've already mentioned Land Raiders I'll use them as the basis for this particular comparison.

Lascannon Vs. Land Raider.
1 Shot, 0.66 Hits, 0.11 Chance of penetration.
Twin-Linked Lascannon Vs. Land Raider.
1 Shot, 0.89 Hits (with the re-roll), 0.15 Chance of Penetration.
Assault Cannon Vs. Land Raider.
4 Shots, 3.56 Hits (with re-rolls), 0.59 Chance of a rending, 0.2 Chance of a Penetrating hit.

So Mathshammer puts the Assault Cannon on top in this particular instance. *

* Of course as any long term gamer will tell you you'll either get four 6's or none because the dice gods are the arch enemies of maths ;-)

7 comments:

  1. i found the assault cannon on my dread worked far better before i realised how improbable it should be

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found the chain fist on my ironclad very effective.

    i always like autocannons, i think lascannons are just a little bit too high pointed for some units(devy's etc)which is a shame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flello was telling me how many Land Raiders he'd killed with his Assault Cannons so I 'Mathshammmered' It to see how improbable that was.
    As It turns out, not as improbable as I first thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chainfists on ironclads are effective. the point is they're too effective for what they need to do whilst creating disadvatages like going last and losing an extra attack, both of which don't happen with the DCCW and thus more than make up for not having an extra penetration dice you don't need most of the time. unless we start seeing armour 15.....lmfao!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so is the next blog on converting heavy bolters into assault cannons using the ravenwing sprue?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see me changing to Assault Cannons with my 'Vanilla' marines or my Space Wolves as I firmly believe the Las/Plas version gives you the best range of options.
    If I 'meched' up with Blood Angels I'd be driving 18" forward and then popping smoke anyway so weapon mount would be largely irrelevant. I'd probably go with the Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer in that particular case. Of course If I want to drive up to my opponent, get out, Melta all his vehicles and then Flamer what's inside with my own vehicles then I'd start using Sisters of Battle instead...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails