Monday 3 May 2010

Blood Angels list evolution


The internet seems to have a lot to say about the Blood Angels Codex most of which is bollocks, unfortunately. Though there are many 'Mech' lists published (I've posted a few myself) I think for the most part that can be done better by 'Vanilla' marines.
As some of you are aware I'm trying to come up with a BA Jump Pack list that works but that also can be done with the models and bits I have available. The problem is that the list I wrote using the stuff I had has some flaws when you try to cram it into 1500 points.

The current (slightly flawed) version of the list is this...

Librarian (100), Jump Pack (+25), Blood Lance + Fear of the Darkness (+0) (125)

Honour Guard (115), Jump Packs (+50), Meltagun x3 (+30) (195)

Chaplain (100), Jump Pack (+25) (125)
Chaplain (100), Jump Pack (+25) (125)

Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)
Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)

Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25), Infernus Pistol (+15) (250)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25), Infernus Pistol (+15) (250)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25), Infernus Pistol (+15) (250)

PROBLEMS

1 - Fear of the Darkness isn't as useful as in practice as I thought in theory. As a psychic shooting attack it seems unlikely I'll ever use it for the following reasons
  1. I'll be more often than not be using Blood Lance on the turn I land instead.
  2. Anything with low enough Leadership to make run away would most likely run away after I charged it anyway.
  3. Most units these days tend to come with that most annoying of defences...a transport. So I'll need to destroy that first regardless.
2 - It has been pointed out by several people that at 1500 points, spending 250 points on chaplains just for rerolls to hit might not be the best use of the points.

3 - Nothing I have particularly excels at killing things (especially If I drop the chaplains). Plus It's quite easy to 'bubblewrap' expensive units (like tanks) with cheap crap (like Guardsmen).

SOLUTIONS

1 - 'Fear of the Darkness' is getting replaced with something else. The current favourite is 'Unleash Rage' as that gets me some of the benefits that I've lost by dropping the Chaplains (See solution 2, lol).

2 - I am going to drop the Chaplains at this points level (At least one will be back in at higher points levels when the Death Company arrive ;-) ) Which gains me 250 points.

3 - I need something a bit more killy that can also help with 'bubblewrap' removal. Vanguard Veterans may be useful in this respect or another Honour Guard so I'll see what I can get for the points I've saved. However if I take Honour Guard I'll need another HQ which means I have to save points elsewhere.

New List

Librarian (100), Jump Pack (+25), Blood Lance + Unleash rage (+0) (125)

Honour Guard (115), Jump Packs (+50), Meltagun x4 (+40) (205)

Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)
Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)

Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25) (235)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25) (235)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25) (235)

Vanguard Veterans x5 (115), Jump Packs x5 (+50), PowerFist (Sergeant) (+10), Lightning Claw x3 (45), Storm Shield x3 (+60) (280)
Total - 1495

I'll have to playtest the list a few times before I change anything else.

As usual all input is welcome..

6 comments:

  1. having played against all jump pack lists i have learned several things:

    1) Vanguard only scattering d6" and not costing the earth in p[oints are a scary death star unit that there isnt a lot you can do to protect against, bubblewrapping units actually works in their favour as they can pump out enough attacks to even scare 50 guardsmen and when in a protracted combat they actually surviuve for longer thah out in the open. the flip side is it isn't too difficult to turn around and hit them hard with a manouverable enough army once they've come out of that initial combat.

    2) Sanguinary priests look like easy kill points but in 2 games they have kept more men alive than their meagre points owuld indicate they are capable of

    3) sanguinary guard look cool, wont die...but will never really do anything useful unless you have dante to make them troops. to me they do seem to be a unit you start with and assemble your army around or bring them out in apoc. they dont have enough long ranged stuff to be a threat for very long and in combat they have so many attacks with power weapons that tbh, they're just overkill and vanguard could do the job just as easily (and better on the turn they come down)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reasonably happy with the final version of the list.
    The other option I was considering was using 2 Librarians and 2 Honour Guards and dropping an Assault Squad so I could keep the Vanguard. Downside to that is the Vanguard don't end up with much equipment.
    As for Dante + Sanguinary Guard, I'm yet to see a decent 'Bloodwing' (I believe is the current internet term) that I would be happy using. Also at 1500 points you don't get a lot of army once you add the necessary equipment options. I had already decided to use my possessed as Death Company but I suppose they could be Sanguinary Guard at a push.
    I'll be arranging that 4 man 'mini-tournament' at mine (for 1500 point testing purposes) in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking me you (You being Mike in case another comment appears in the middle), Dave and Flello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam's list worked well against me, 10 deathcompany with jump packs and lemartes, dante with guard and 2 assault squads. it doesnt sound like it should and i don't know if it would work again but it beat me (by a single model holding an objective refusing to fail his morale check)

    As for tournament, yeah, sounds good. though i may be moving soon and so obviously cant play whilst doing that

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Space Wolves Mech list should destroy that Jump Pack List with minimal effort.
    Deployed I get 2 turns of shooting at it. If It's deepstriking I get a turn to shoot it to pieces while the rest of my army moves far enough so its hitting me on 6's. There's nothing it could do to stop 8 krak missiles a turn carving chunks out of those squads as it lacks the weapon range to effectively counter me.
    Not to mention 'Tempests Wrath' killing a couple of guys a turn, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a cool way of playtesting will have to keep tabs on how that go's for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mini-tournament idea seemed to work well last time so I thought I'd do it again. 4 people means everyone gets to play each other once over 3 games and I have 2 tables so it works out fine.
    Ill probably do a few coming up to the 'GT' season as well depending on who's interested.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails