Wednesday 27 June 2012

From Power Gamer to Hobbyist...

I don't like 6th Edition....but I'm buying the Rulebook anyway...

Allow me to explain,

I don't think it's balanced at all for a start. The inclusion of allies makes balance almost impossible and there will inevitably be rule and army interactions that will create what the internet likes to call 'broken' combinations. This is inevitable as Games Workshop don't play test with any level of thoroughness and in many case their external testers are of the 'GW can do no wrong' variety or have particularly poor ideas about how the game should work and for some reason Games Workshop listen to them rather than just shooting them on the spot...
Let 'em have it...your probably the only girl they've met anyway...
The following may seem like a silly criticism in a game with dice but there are now to many 'random' elements. Game altering psychic powers that you may or may not end up with and there will be many potential situations where a random roll will result in you missing an important charge and therefore lose a combat due to an unlucky dice incident.
That's the last time you cause me to fail a charge... 
That said I'll probably still play games as that's sort of what I do, lol...however any kind of tournament event is now an unlikely proposition due to the inevitable bullshit that I'll have inflicted on me. Unfortunately given the way the rulebook is written certain armies are just going to be better than others and if your sick of mech in 5th your definately going to be sick of the same three army builds that all the power-gamers are going to end up using, lol.

However I've already invested a lot in this hobby in both time and money and I don't see why some bastard in the 6th edition development team should be responsible for fucking it all up for me. I am therefore going to register my protest in the lamest way possible by continuing with my hobby while simultaneously spending the absolute minimum of money on their products...

I have piles of stuff unassembled, plenty of undercoat and paints that will last a long time and to be honest there are a wide variety of other companies whose paints are equally as good as GW's and are in many cases actually better. Though I'm quite happy to use pdf's I do like to have the book 'in my hands' so to speak. Fortunately two of my friends have started an independent hobby shop and they are doing the rulebook a bit cheaper than GW so I'll buy it from them instead...not a big 'fuck you' to Games Workshop but every little helps, lol. 

So I'm now what you'd call a hobbyist rather than a gamer...I'll paint what I have and should the people at GW release something especially cool then I'll buy it from an independent store instead and I'll play games with people I know who are happy to go down the less competitive path when it comes to army design. If after the FAQ's have been released, updated and the whole issue has settled down I may re-enter the scene as 'that power gaming bastard' until then I'm a hobbyist...and that's not a bad thing now is it...for a while at least...

11 comments:

  1. Hey, Once rankings HQ get off their arses and update my score from my last two tournaments i should actually be ranked highest space marine player in the country and i've always been a hobbyist over a power gamer :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vote with your wallet, friend. It's the only thing GW listens to. I'm OK with the rules in general, aside from Allies being: a) blatant cash grab to help struggling armies; and b) a way to "shore up" huge gaps in balance by allowing access (in theory) to books that work. Prepare yourself for an onslaught of GK allies, even if they aren't "battle brothers" with anyone (because GW at least knew they are f***ing broken and don't want them making IG or SW even nastier).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty much what happened to me at the end of 5th anyway. Hopefully it'll still be fun. I've saort of moved to Infinity anyway, because I just like the smaller model count. Nothing like going to game night with a lunch sack rather than a 20 gallon tub full of mech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 5th edition many people complain about unbalanced armies. Necrons, GK's, etc. You learn to play against them and they balance out. This will be the same in my opinion. What they've done is create a more theatric and purpose steered game which is certainly a good thing. Yes in tourneys people will bend the rules and create power lists, but thats what people do in tourneys. Some people prefer to win games and make unbeatable armies because they find that fun. Myself, I prefer games that have story behind them, like its a film or book being played out thats never been shown or written before, because I find that fun. This hobby is so great because we can give and take what we want from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitch bitch bitch. Does anyone remember the change from 2nd to 3rd? Arguably the biggest single change to 40k ever; Intro of the FOC chart, removal of the movement stat, universal damage chart for vehicles, grenades become combat not shooting, universal wargear removed... the list is endless. Such big changes DETROYED some armies (IG for one, back then the change to FOC meant you could have a whopping 3 tanks in your list! I owned seven Leman Russes at the time). Did the game suffer? No, after all the knee-jerkers had finishing bitching, the community grew. And grew and grew, and continues to grow.

    If I hear one more person moan about GW trying to make money I swear thet're going to get pimp-slapped upside thier head. IT IS A LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY OF A DIRECTOR TO MAXIMISE THE RETURN TO SHAREHOLDERS AND ACT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE COMPANY. Period. If GW don't try to make money, they're breaking the law. Investors pull out, money dries up and the game collapses (Think TSR in the 90's).

    So yes, after five years GW do need to encourage people to invest in the hobby, i.e. spend some money. What they are doing with the allies rules is opening up many new armies to players on the basis you don't need to spend £500+ to collect 1,500 points before you can use them. £30 quid on a HQ and Troop and you can start using your new models and army straight away. Commercially thats genius and hats off to GW for the concept. The 'start up' cost for a new army just got reduced by 90% for existing players and the range of models available to them increased by 1400%.

    If you want to invest a set amount of money in a hobby and never spend again, well to be honest, I don't possibly know what hobby you could pick. Even walking boots wear out and need replacing!

    Don't, however, expect sensible people to credit your adolesent-esk moaning prior to the actual release of any rules with anything other than ignorance. Last time I checked, Demolisher cannons wreck anyone so bring along a 400 point GK terminator squad with your Blood Angels, and don't forget your 150 point HQ choice too, just don't moan to me when they're a fine silver paste on the floor!

    Rant over. Now is any actually excited about a bit of change being injected into a hobby we've loved for decades?

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the allies I think will introduce some crazy combos, I think you're best reserving judgement until you've read the full rulebook and even played a few games. You could even say to your opponent you do not want to do alllies.

    As for the random charge, I'll agree with you, that one is gay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd let her shoot my dice....they suck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Mercer, about waiting
    Wait and see till you had chance to read the rulebook - proper - in depth
    And not what could be, may be from online forums/blogs
    Could always end up being a load of crap

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I agree with Rau (to a less angry extent) and Mercer et le Dwarf, I think the biggest problem Gw will have with 6th is the lack of build up and marketing.
    Yes we've all known it was coming but I remember just before 5th ed we knew some rules and had a 6 month sh released schedule so i could plan save money and look at pics and get all hot and bothered about shineys.

    While we were bombarded with leacks and grainy shitty phone cam pics it wasn;t the same. Thats why my hobby interest has diminished in general over the last year and I hope Gw change back to the old "black box" and information sharing days.

    On a side note - with 40k stealing fantasies rule set is anyone else tempted to just use the fantasy book :p (I kid but might give it a go.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was me thinking that was quite an upbeat post...on the bright side at least I'm still managing to wind people up even without doing posts for IHoP...

    *strolls off whistling contently to himself*

    Also I only actually quoted one rule and that's been confirmed by multiple sources so I'd hardly call that 'ignorance'...reading an article and then making a comment that's incorrect without any idea about what the person who wrote it has or hasn't seen...now that's ignorance ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's my kinda gun moll!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails