Thursday 22 August 2013

Steampunk Joker and Harley Quinn?!?!?

I should probably create a new label called 'things I'd like to do but probably will never get around to...' or 'I need as bloody break from this crew a week thing...'

So lets get this out of the way right at the beginning so as to save any-one feeling the need to point it out...what I wish to do has been done already...several times...by people who are probably better painters than me as well...but I'm going to do it anyway...

Seamus, the Mad Hatter is either The Joker or Jack the Ripper or something in the middle and has been painted as these concepts by many people with The Joker being the one that is most popular. Now the reasons are understandable though depending on the writer Seamus is either a comic relief, barely competent Adam West era Joker or in the better (imo) stories we get to see him more as the violent yet bored sociopath that Alan Moore wrote for us in the Killing Joke graphic novel and personified in the disturbingly brilliant portrayal by Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.


Somewhat of an issue with doing a Joker themed crew using Seamus is the fact that the only female he spends any time around is Harley Quinn...and there's just the one of her...and she should really be the Henchmen in the crew. Though I could probably paint Madame Sybelle in Harley Quinn colours the theme would immediately break down as they don't look even vaguely similar and several million fanboys would probably attempt to murder me for doing so, lol.

A while ago I thought about using this piece of artwork...


...as inspiration. This kind of stretches the concept of a Joker crew but keeps to a tolerable theme that I could perhaps live with. The other idea I had was to simply paint all the Belles in the crew in Harley colours but I'm not sure how that would look and it doesn't really solve the Sybelle/Henchman issue...

The more I think about it, the more it seems that there's no ideal way of doing this using a traditional Malifaux crew and I'd have to basically make a hybrid one out of members of others in order to get a Joker, Harley, Jokeresque Henchmen look. Even more irritatingly the latest bit of Molly background in Wyrd Chronicles has dashed any hopes that I had of her still being usable with Seamus which was my last real hope for a Harley-like Henchman for him.....

....I'm also hoping that the new Molly looks something like this ;-)
I'm open to any bright ideas you might have...and if those ideas give me an excuse to buy a new M2E Malifaux crew to convert then that'll just be a bonus now won't it, lol. Worse case scenario will be Seamus as Joker, several Harley's and a somewhat out of condition Catwoman styled Sybelle...

Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

8 comments:

  1. I've been wracking my brain thinking of how to put together a B.P.R.D. crew. Maybe you could convert Von Schill as a Joker, paint up the Freikorps as clown thugs and add in Rusty Alice as your Harley? The Leveticus box looks like it would be twisted enough for Joker too, but I understand he's not in wave one .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leveticus has indeed been removed from Wave 1 due to balance issues.

      I think if I do this then a hybrid crew is the only way it can be accomplished but it's not quite working itself out in my head for some reason...hence the blog post...

      Delete
  2. She's not very "svelt" (nor is she "undead") but this could prove to be an interesting take on a Cat-Woman Sybelle...

    http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=dominatrix-libby~hfh042&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasslefree have some nice miniatures...I'll give their website a thorough look.

      Delete
  3. Of course, you could always get into Knight Models' Arkham City an run an actual Joker crew, Harley Quinn and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Knight models stuff on order but I really wanted to do this as a Malifaux crew.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry, but the lovely lady with the skull has temporarily shorted my higher brain functions.

    We'll be right back after I fhafjf angahfslgle durrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for an excuse to use that picture for a while ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails