Monday 12 July 2010

Tyranid Project - Part 3 - Hive Guard

This is the Prototype for my Hive Guard. If I'm still happy with it when I wake up tomorrow, I'll make another 5 ;-)

I started with the standard Warrior kit. First I repositioned the back legs so the model was crouched over a bit more. I attached the left side arm so it was touching the base when I glued on the body so it looked like it was supporting it's weight on 3 of it's rear limbs. The weapon is a Venom Cannon with the spikes from the sprue glued into the 4 recesses in the barrel. I had to chop the thumb off the tube arm as It was preventing the head from looking forward in a natural way. The head needed trimming to fit and to be honest I'm not 100% happy with the finish on that bit so I may add an armoured plate of some kind to disguise the join as much as possible.

I'm not sure about the tail either...

HIVE GUARD PROTOTYPE, RIGHT SIDE.


HIVE GUARD PROTOTYPE, LEFT SIDE.


HIVE GUARD PROTOTYPE, ANGLED VIEW.


Thoughts, Comments, Opinions?

7 comments:

  1. i too like it.

    though if you're not keen on the tale yourself then my suggestions would be putting something on the end of it (like carnifeices have) or filing it down to about 80% of that length?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to use Zoat models with MLs for mine, but the cost...oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chumbalaya - Thanks

    @ Mike - I've decided to keep the tail as it seems to balance the model(from an appearance point of view that is).

    @ The_King_Elessar - Unfortunately I have to work with what I've got as money is a bit of an issue at the moment. I'm already going to have to find the money for some more Termagants and Warriors to convert into Tyrant Guard on top of the £18 I've just had to fork out for some additional sprues. Just out of interest, how long can a person survive without food ;-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, nice job. I actually got the same idea to craft Hive Guards from warriors set and I am happy to find such a nice example of how it is possible to do it. I just want to add some greenstuff - I imagine I will make them look blind - add some bone plates over the eyes, and stick the antenaes from Trygon//Mawloc set to their heads to make ´em look more fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could find some inspiration from the article. Your ideas all seem like excellent additions to the concept..I may steal some of them, lol.

      Delete
    2. So, I have made my first hive guard according to your model and I applied the antennae to it´s shoulder plates. I also made a longer neck from greenstuff, which is quite an improvement and some more armor and honestly: a) it looks awesome, b) it is a total zerg from Starcraft :-). The antennae really put in a lot more "bug" look to it. I can sincerely recommend it.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails