Tuesday 10 August 2010

Why I love 5th Ed. 40K


There’s a few posts on the various Blogs I follow talking about this * article on Bell of Lost Souls.

* If you happen to get more than half way through without wanting to hunt down the author and give him a slap then your a far more tolerant person than I.

Kirby’s assessment of it is particularly incisive ;-)

Personally I have found 5th Ed. To be a much tighter rule-set than 4th and was a considerable improvement in all respects.

Here for my own amusement (and what better reason would I need?, It's my blog after all) is a list of my favourite things about 5th Ed. In no particular order.

1) True Line of Sight – Makes everything much simpler. If I can see it and it’s in range I can shoot at it…awesome.

2) Better Rules for Terrain – No infinitely high hills, nice little pictures and charts in the rulebook to explain what’s getting cover and what isn't.

3) No Consolidation into Combat – Annoyed both my Daemons and my Berzerkers at first but I’ve got to admit it solved a lot more problems than it created.

4) Vehicle Damage Tables – No more transported units wiped out by a random penetrating hit and no more destroying on a glancing hit.

5) Wound Allocation – Though occasionally abused by a few units *cough* Nob Bikers *cough* the higher chance of killing Sergeants, Special Weapons and other previously immune upgrades from a unit makes the whole experience a bit more interesting. However, the time I lost my Power Fist Champion just before his unit was about to get charged by a Dreadnought was a bit annoying, but you can’t have everything your own way can you, lol.

6) No Partials – I was never quite happy with the whole 4+ partial hit thing.

7) BS Reducing Scatter Distance – Nice and simple like most damn good ideas.

I suppose traditionally lists like this should go to 10 but to be honest I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Feel free to add your own if you like, I'm off to bed...

4 comments:

  1. i completely agree, i tried to read that article and got annoyed by his....is stupidness a word?

    i'd add that simple missions and deployment types rather than the over complicated and "not adding to the game" of alpha, beta and gamma level missions and all that escelation crap have also made 5th edition great

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former Ork player, I have to say that 3 and 4 were pains in the arse. Nothing worth quitting the game over (I quit over the way two thirds of my games boiled down to 'if Meganobz are on objective, win: if not, lose'), but it definitely put the burn on armies designed without S9, AP1 or melta weapons.

    I also admit to problems with true line of sight. Great for the game, yeah, but for a chap with a bad back and dodgy eyesight all that bending over and squinting is a littlle wearing. That's just me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. line of sight is much better, my only complaint is cover possibly being too abundant or too high a save, a lot of the time, though this is now me wanting a dice with 4.5 on...

    with regard to 4 i feel the strength of explosions should maybe be 4/5 instead of 3/4 or passengers get no save

    everything i agree with, though i'd like to add bs6+ having a point now

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails