Wednesday 14 January 2015

D&D Attack Wing and 'Counts-As'...

Quite recently there has been  release of a game using the same basic rules and mechanics of the Star Trek and Star Wars Miniatures Games (Attack Wing and X:Wing respectively) systems but set in the world of Dungeons and Dragons.


This version has some added concepts including the addition of ground units and a few mechanical alterations in order to take this into account and like the other systems mentioned it uses pre-assembled and pre-painted models. Though this saves time and enables you to get 'stuck-in' to the game straight away it does create some cosmetic issues for players such as myself who have been spoiled by dynamically posed and detailed models that are now the norm in the majority of miniatures game systems. In short I'd rather have the extra level of quality and except the fact that I'm going to have to do some extra work...the issue was how easily this could be accomplished...


The 'Ground' units in this game have a base that includes a slot that I was happy to find fits the standard 25mm(ish) bases that come with many miniature game systems including many Games Workshop ones which would give me access to a number of modelling options (I don't like their game systems but I'm okay with their models). As this base size is commonly available I could in theory put any accurately scaled model on them...


As a test I used an Uruk-Hai model from Games Workshops Lord of the Rings range as I had a box that was sitting on the shelf doing nothing (I can't even remember buying it to be honest) and the model is both nice and appropriately scaled. The first test worked fine but I needed to make sure that this wasn't just a one off that I'd got lucky with the base of...


So that seems to have worked out just fine...I thought you might also want to see some direct comparison pictures of both the original models and my 'counts-as' replacements...


The only minor issue I encountered was that some of the Attack Wing models that are 'floating' are on a version of a flying base and the model I chose as a replacement (A Lord of the Rings Nazgul) wouldn't have fitted on such a base very well so I used one of their standard ground unit bases instead.

I'm not necessarily going to go with a Lord of the Rings theme for the project (I was just utilising what I had) but it just goes to show that using the system (which I like) without the models (which I'm indifferent to) it's possible to create an attractive looking force that I'd be more happy using on the table-top...

Now I just need to find replacements for the Dragons, lol.

Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails