Friday 25 March 2016

Gav Thorpe Newsletter

Here's a new newsletter from the author Gav Thorpe. Should you wish to receive this newsletter directly rather than waiting for me to re-post it you can subscribe to it here.

Sci-Fi Artwork from Gav's Website
Thank you for signing up to my newsletter at gavthorpe.co.uk. If you have received this email in error you can unsubscribe with the link at the bottom of the mail.  In this newsletter:
  • Hello!
  • Blog Post Round-Up
  • Daffcon
  • Warbeast
  • New Releases
  • Upcoming Events
  • Q&A
  • Kickstarter
  • Bi-monthly Competition Winner

Hello!

Hello again and welcome to the monthly missive from the House of Thorpe. It is taking most of my remaining stamina to type today – the household has been the victim of successive plagues over the preceding weeks and they have taken their toll on all of us. I do not remember causing any offence to Nurgle recently, so I suspect it must be the fact that Sammy has just started at nursery and is playing the role of Patient Zero on a weekly basis.
Despite the dreaded lurgy, I have been trying to work as much as possible. That I had a slightly soft start to the year hasn’t made it easier. Being a freelancer is fantastic, but there are no sick days, no holiday pay, no Public Holidays (and occasionally no weekends) and your deadlines will beat you stupid if you don’t have discipline. I’ll be writing a blog about that soon. I’ve got back-to-back Black Library deadlines over March, April and May, encompassing the Thirteenth Wolf audio for the Horus Heresy (delivered on time), some more Raven Guard (just about on track), and a 40K project yet to be announced (should start on time if Nurgle accepts the sacrifices I’ve been making).
Another thing that has been taking up some time is the arrival of Open Combat – the universal skirmish game from Second Thunder, written, designed and produced by my friend Carl Brown. Carl has been shipping copies off to his Kickstarter backers over the past couple of weeks but the real job of getting Open Combat into people’s hands is just beginning – a pretty hectic schedule of wargames shows for Second Thunder. I met with Carl at the Triples show in Sheffield, and I’ll be helping out at some others as you’ll see in the events section. It’s been great talking to other players, finding out what they love about the game, what ideas they’ve been inspired to have. Carl has done a top job on the book itself and having a physical copy is a motivator for me to get some more games in. I can continue with my Saxons and Normans for now, but I’ve an itch to do some fantasy warbands too. I’ll be putting updates on the blog, of course, but check out the Second Thunder forums too.

Blog Post Round-Up

This month I shared some advice ongetting published, along with details of the Earth Day writing competition.
You can hear my latest interview with the MOB Rules podcast, where we talk about The Emperor Expects, wrestling, and meeting Samoa Joe.
I blogged about the Parallax: Warband Kickstarter, for which I wrote a short story.
You can also read my review of the grand opening weekend of Nottingham's first board games cafe, The Dice Cup.

Daffcon

Daffcon is a new multi-system gaming convention, happening at Firestorm Games in Cardiff on April 8th-10th.
I shall be attending from the Friday to Sunday, helping out Carl from Second Thunder with the Open Combat games, and I'm hoping to bring along some World War 2 rules I've been tinkering with for playtesting.  Come and say hi if you're attending.
Daffcon Logo

Warbeast

My first full length novel for Age of Sigmar was released this month as both hardback and eBook.
"Lord-Celestant Arkas Warbeast of the Celestial Vindicators returns to the lands that he ruled in his mortal life – lands befouled by the verminous hordes of the Clans Pestilens. Can Arkas retain his focus and restore order to his lands?"
I've also published my author's notes (which have proven quite contentious in the comments), the music playlist I used for writing it, and highlighted the artwork and some beautifully painted minis.

New Releases

Along with Warbeast, it has been another bumper month for new releases First we had the release of Der Pfad Des Ausgestossenen (German edition of Path of the Outcast), then cameDoom of the Elves (End Times Omnibus containing my novel Curse of Khaine), and the Legacy of Caliban eBook Collection (containing Ravenwing, Master of Sanctity, The Unforgiven, plus the Lords of Caliban short story collection).
These were followed up by the Horus Heresy anthology Eye of Terra (which contains my stories Inheritor and Master of the First), and the new hardback version of the Tales of Heresyanthology (contains Call of the Lion).

Upcoming Events

For DaffCon and Salute I'll be helping out with games of Open Combat on the Second Thunder stand.
I'm not sure what the schedule is for Warhammer Fest, but I'll post more details as they become available.
Do come and say 'hello' if you're attending any of these events.

Newsletter Q&A

Tyler asked on Facebook: In Warbeast, how do you pronounce Silverblade’s first name?
Think ‘Theo’ (soft ‘th) – Thee-udd-err-iss
If you want to ask a question, just reply to the newsletter and I'll get back to you as soon as my schedule allows.  I'll pick the best question to go in the next newsletter, and combine them all into a blog post for the website.  Click the button below for the full Q&A round-up for March.

Kickstarter

Hadjen Miniature Design for Parallax: Warband Kickstarter Campaign
I've blogged before about the brilliant minis from the World of Twilight (and posted some pictures of my attempts to paint them), so I was really excited to see their Kickstarter for The Casanii of Anyaral.
The project has already smashed the Kickstarter goal, with seven days to go, and they are well worth a look if you're interested in non-human imagery.
Unbound RPG Artwork
Also launched on Kickstarter this week is Unbound, a universal tabletop role playing game, written by Grant Howitt (of Goblin Quest) and Chris Taylor.  I was involved in a very minor way with creating a story builder for the game.  It has been a while since I last played an RPG, and I think this will be the game to motivate me to get the group back together.

Bi-Monthly Competition Winner

One of the perks of subscribing to my mailing list is that you get entered into the bi-monthly draw to win a personalised, signed copy of one of my books.  This month's winner is Anthony Castro who will be receiving a copy of my Horus Heresy novella Ravenlord.  The next draw will take place in May, and the winner will receive a copy of my next Horus Heresy novel Angels of Caliban, when it is released in June.
 
Cover of The Emperor Expects by Gav Thorpe, published by Black Library
Cover of Warbeast by Gav Thorpe, published by Black Library
Cover of Ravenlord by Gav Thorpe, published by Black Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails