Friday 27 October 2017

Gav Thorpe - Newsletter

The latest newsletter from Gav Thorpe...can also be received direct by signing up for it on his home page HERE.

Sci Fi Artwork from Gav's Website
  • Hello!
  • Rise of the Ynnari: Ghost Warrior
  • Newsletter Q&A - The Last Chancers
  • Kickstarter - Dinogenics
  • *** STOP PRESS ***
  • Blog Round-Up
  • Upcoming Events
  • Submissions Alert - Cast of Wonders
  • Hard Drive Hot List (or, My Current Projects)
  • Bi-Monthly Competition
Gav drinking a cup of tea
 

Hello!

Back in August I wrote about the need to be flexible in your working environment as a career writer.  Well, I'm now writing this from my lovely dedicated office that I no longer share with the spare bed and a pile of washing.  But it gets better.
For the first time in my 30+ years of miniatures gaming, I've got my own dedicated painting space.  It's about two thirds of my new corner desk, with modular units from Hobbyzone for all my paints, inks, and brushes.  Crucially, I've also factored in room for expansion too because, well... because hobby.
Fox Huntress from Oathsworn Miniatures (Painted by Gav)
When I'm writing a story I've usually planned the next scene in my head, before sitting down to actually type it up.  The idea of having the hobby area on my desk is that I can take a short break to mull over the next scene, without breaking my concentration too much. 
It also means that if I'm painting models related to my current writing project the painting will feed my writing, and vice versa.
I've already finished nine of my Burrows and Badgers minis from Oathsworn Miniatures - I'm really pleased with how the Fox Huntress turned out.  I'm just about done with my Blood Bowl team, Kurgan's Ironbeards, and now they are painted maybe they'll perform a bit better on the field.
My current projects, in various stages, are my Harlequins, Eldar and Rumbleslam minis.
Blood Bowl Dwarf painted by Gav
If you're interested in seeing my painting attempts (everything I learned from the 'Eavy Metal team at Games Workshop is slowly coming back to me), I've recently set up an Instagram account - gavthorpegaming.  It'll mostly be pictures of my painting progress, gaming, and bottles of beer from my latest Beer Hawk delivery.
I've still got a huge backlog of unpainted minis - what self-respecting gamer doesn't - but getting them finished now feels like a realistic goal.  Just in time for Adeptus Titanicus coming out next year of course. Oh, and all those Kickstarter minis that will be arriving.  And I really should paint a few more models for Big Stompy Robots...
Well.  As I said, what self-respecting gamer doesn't have a backlog...
Gav
PS: I'm at Warhammer World 10am-1pm tomorrow signing copies of Ghost Warrior, but as always, I'm happy to sign other books and old codexes etc too.  Do come and say hello.  Don't worry if you can't make tomorrow, I'll also be at the Black Library Weekender, and back at Warhammer World on 25th November for more signings.
 

Rise Of The Ynnari - Ghost Warrior

 
Cover of Ghost Warrior by Gav Thorpe
Ghost Warrior, book one in my new Rise of the Ynnari series, is in stores tomorrow in hardback and eBook.
"When the long-lost Craftworld Ziasuthra reappears, Iyanna Arienal and Yvraine of the Ynnari lead an expedition to it in hope of retrieving the last cronesword. But why has the craftworld returned now, and can its inhabitants be trusted?"
In case you missed it, I've published my Author's Notes for Ghost Warrior, looking at how my idea for the story developed:
"Every book and series needs a starting point, a kernel of inspiration from which all else grows."
You can read my full Author's Notes here.  Keep an eye on my website as I'll also be publishing a history of Ynnead, and an interview with cover artist Anna Lakisova.
 

Newsletter Q&A

Clint emailed with this: I know I’m a bit late to the party, but I’ve just recently read The Last Chancersbooks for the first time and I quite enjoyed them; Schaeffer has become one of my favorite 40K characters. Are we ever going to find out the ultimate fate of the Colonel and his crew? I was hoping if/when Games Workshop expands on the new 8th edition Armageddon lore we might get some new info.
I also noticed a “False Hope” on the galaxy map in the 8th edition rulebook. The same planet where the Last Chancers took on the god-plant in 13th Legion?
 
Cover of Last Chancers by Gav Thorpe
Funny you should mention The Last Chancers and Shadow Wars: Armageddon. I am currently noodling ideas to pitch a return of the Last Chancers to Black Library and I’ve been thinking along similar lines…
As for False Hope, I like to think that it is the same world but couldn’t be 100% certain without asking the developers. I dimly recall that I slipped it onto an earlier incarnation of the Imperium map and maybe they got it from there.
If you want to ask a question, just reply to the newsletter and I'll get back to you as soon as my schedule allows.  Click the button below for the full October Q&A.
 

Kickstarter - Dinogenics

DinoGenics is a worker placement game where players compete to build the most successful and profitable dinosaur park. Each player takes on the role of a multi-billion dollar corporation, each with access to their private island park. Over the course of seven seasons, players will send workers to the nearby mainland to collect resources such as DNA, fences and other necessities needed to run a successful park... but remember, dinosaurs have a mind of their own and if neglected or improperly penned, they will attempt to escape and spread havoc.
Box design for Dinogenics Kickstarter
I'm definitely breaking my (very fragile) self-imposed Kickstarter ban for this one - who wouldn't want dino-meeples!
The project, run by Ninth Haven Games, is already funded, and the Kickstarter closes on 2nd November.
 

*** STOP PRESS ***

Hopefully you know you can get in touch by replying to these emails, but if you want to ask me questions in real-time, now's your chance.  I'm going to be doing a Reddit Q&A session at 8pm GMT on Friday 3rd November in r/warhammer
 

Blog Round-Up

This month I've mainly been doing interviews - apologies if you're getting Gav-fatigue!  Click the links below:
 

Upcoming Events

  • 25th November 2017, Book Signing, Warhammer World (Details TBA)
If you are coming to any of these events, do come and say hello.
 

! Submissions Alert !

*** I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. If you want to write for Black Library, don't just write about the Warhammer universes. Hone your skills in other genres, and get a foot in the BL editor's door by being a "published author" in one of the many other short story eZines, websites, and podcasts out there.  If I knew how to make these words flash, and sound a siren I would! ***
Cast of Wonders is a Young Adult fiction podcast, part of the Escape Artists podcast network, and this is a great opportunity to try your hand at writing for the audio format.
What We're Looking For
Stories that evoke a sense of wonder, have deep emotional resonance, and have something unreal about them. We aim for a 12-17 age range: that means sophisticated, non-condescending stories with wide appeal, and without gratuitous or explicit sex, violence or pervasive obscene language. Think Harry Potter or The Hunger Games.
Cast of Wonders Logo
Their general submissions window opens on November 15th, and they are looking for short fiction up to 6,000 words.
Check out these blog posts on my website for advice on writing for the audio format.
 
Envelope with "Top Secret" stamped on it
One of the most common questions I get asked is "What are you working on?", so here's my (sorry, sometimes cryptic) list of works in progress, plus future releases.
 

Hard Drive Hot List

 

 Bi-Monthly Competition Winner

All subscribers to my mailing list are entered into the bi-monthly draw to win a personalised, signed copy of one of my books. The next winner will be picked in November, and will receive a signed copy of Heirs of the Laughing God: A Deadly Wit, my Harlequins Audio Drama.
 
Cover of Ghost Warrior by Gav Thorpe
Cover of Lorgar by Gav Thorpe
Cover of Conquest of the Nu World by Gav Thorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails