Friday 30 September 2011

E-Mail In - Is the Chaos Codex Really That Bad?

E-Mail In :

Gmort.

You accuse the Chaos Marine Codex of being shit all the time but it seems to me like there are a lot of really good and interesting units in it that people just aren't using properly (if at all). Even though dual-lash isn't meant to be that good anymore people are still using it in tournaments and doing really well. Are you just following the 'internet wisdom' that's portrayed as true just because people like Stelek and Kirby say so or do you genuinely think it's that shit?


Name withheld by request.

Reply :

I genuinely think it's shit.....
...
...
...
Sorry, were you expecting a detailed answer?


There are plenty of examples of breakdowns of the Chaos Space Marine Codex all over the internet if you want to look for them. I've even done one myself,

Is the Chaos Codex Viable Any-more?

The basic problem is that every unit ranges from slightly to grossly over-costed and a hell of a lot of it's underpowered as well. The few units that were good (relatively) can now be easily countered by the newer dex's for a variety of reasons.


If anybodies really that interested then I can do a newer breakdown of the Codex taking into account the current list building trends but I honestly think that the only viable way to use your models is through the medium of 'Counts-As'. If people want me to write one I will...

...I won't enjoy it though, lol.

5 comments:

  1. Can you win games with the Chaos Codex? Yes. Can you build a fun list that has strong elements? Yes. Can this list even be challenging to play against with newer codices? It can.

    Can you build a list that can cover all the bases a tournament list should? Not really. Can you build a list that performs consistently at high levels of play? No.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's still a fun dex that works outside of a 'competitive' environment. In a tournament setting, one naturally is there to win and brings his best toolbox. Sadly, CSM does not have a lot of the necessary tools for performance at that level. Not enough tools, and too expensive at that, as you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think tzeentchling pretty much nailed it.

    I's also like to add that it is really, *really* bland and boring. It's about as bland as the Necron codex which came out 5 years earlier, is the oldest current codex, and is the last remaining 3rd edition codex. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_(Warhammer_40,000)#Army_codexes

    I love my Chaos Marines, I love their spiky awesomeness, and I love sticking it to the loyalist pigdogs every chance I get, but the current codex is a huuuge step backward from the previous chaos 'dex and codex design in general. And it's bland. Did I mention it's bland and boring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my suspicions are correct, that people are using it in tournaments speaks more for the nature of tournaments than for the nature of Codices. There's a bloke round my way who hasn't really changed his army since fourth edition, and hasn't had to, and tends to do very well for himself but would probably suffer against Lash-and-blast-spam shenanigans because... well, because for him, and for most of the people he plays with, the game hasn't changed in five years.

    Weirdly, he also plays Dark Eldar, and has yet to lose with them - apparently there are a lot of Grey Knights and Blood Angels players who are playing what I'd describe as fourth edition lists with fifth edition codices, if that makes any sense.

    In an atmosphere like that, Chaos can probably do all right...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chaos armies have a mere handful of viable unit options - and to be honest, I think people are wrong about most of the things they try to say are viable.

    When a Codex is a monobuild, to my mind it simply isn't competitive - CSM, Eldar, Orks, and (almost) Nids...who kind of exist on the fringe.

    Sisters don't even deserve a mention...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails