Monday 28 June 2010

Tyranids!!!


Following on from this post.

This basically uses what I have taking into account some required conversion work to make things useful.

1750 Pts - Tyranids Roster - What I've got Nids Ver 2.0

HQ: Hive Tyrant (1#, 195 pts)
1 Hive Tyrant @ 195 pts (Lash Whip & Bonesword x1; Heavy Venom Cannon; Leech Essence; Paroxysm)

Elite: Hive Guard Brood (2#, 100 pts)
2 Hive Guard Brood @ 100 pts

Elite: Hive Guard Brood (2#, 100 pts)
2 Hive Guard Brood @ 100 pts

Elite: Hive Guard Brood (2#, 100 pts)
2 Hive Guard Brood @ 100 pts

Troops: Tervigon (1#, 190 pts)
1 Tervigon @ 190 pts (Catalyst; Onslaught)

Troops: Tervigon (1#, 190 pts)
1 Tervigon @ 190 pts (Catalyst; Onslaught)

Troops: Termagant Brood (12#, 60 pts)
12 Termagant Brood @ 60 pts

Troops: Termagant Brood (12#, 60 pts)
12 Termagant Brood @ 60 pts

Troops: Genestealer Brood (8#, 182 pts)
7 Genestealer Brood @ 182 pts (Toxin Sacs)
1 Broodlord (Toxin Sacs)

Troops: Genestealer Brood (8#, 136 pts)
8 Genestealer Brood @ 136 pts (Toxin Sacs)

Heavy Support: Tyrannofex (1#, 265 pts)
1 Tyrannofex @ 265 pts (Rupture Cannon)

Heavy Support: Mawloc (1#, 170 pts)
1 Mawloc @ 170 pts

Total Roster Cost: 1748

It's not optimal, It is however (in my opinion) as optimised as possible given the models I have.

Opposing viewpoints, ideas and anything else vaguely useful???

Editors Note : After reading a few more comments with useful advice I think I've found a version of the List I like better.

1750 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Tyranids ver 2.1

HQ: The Swarmlord (1#, 280 pts)
1 The Swarmlord @ 280 pts

: Tyrant Guard (1#, 60 pts)
1 Tyrant Guard @ 60 pts

Elite: Hive Guard Brood (2#, 100 pts)
2 Hive Guard Brood @ 100 pts

Elite: Hive Guard Brood (2#, 100 pts)
2 Hive Guard Brood @ 100 pts

Elite: Hive Guard Brood (2#, 100 pts)
2 Hive Guard Brood @ 100 pts

Troops: Tervigon (1#, 190 pts)
1 Tervigon @ 190 pts (Catalyst; Onslaught)

Troops: Tervigon (1#, 190 pts)
1 Tervigon @ 190 pts (Catalyst; Onslaught)

Troops: Termagant Brood (10#, 50 pts)
10 Termagant Brood @ 50 pts

Troops: Termagant Brood (10#, 50 pts)
10 Termagant Brood @ 50 pts

Troops: Genestealer Brood (8#, 182 pts)
7 Genestealer Brood @ 182 pts (Toxin Sacs)
1 Broodlord (Toxin Sacs)

Troops: Genestealer Brood (8#, 182 pts)
7 Genestealer Brood @ 182 pts (Toxin Sacs)
1 Broodlord (Toxin Sacs)

Heavy Support: Tyrannofex (1#, 265 pts)
1 Tyrannofex @ 265 pts (Rupture Cannon)

Total Roster Cost: 1749

Of course I'll wait for the experts to comment before I make the final decision and start building/converting ;-)

13 comments:

  1. Looks fine by me. Moving forward, the extra T-fex will be extremely useful, as would Tyrant Guard.

    Old Adversary on a walkrant is an extremely useful power. Between his buffs and the Tervigons you can turn free Termagants into nasty little fuckers. Re-roll missed hits, S4 I5, poison, FNP and bad guys at WS1 is incredibly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think i have enough experience with tyranids to rate any lists with them. however, what exactly would you choose if money/cost/time/models available were no object to help optimise this list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto never played with nids but the termagaunts seem a bit weak in 10's, i wouldn't field 10 orks alone and they are better.

    i do rate pyrovores as brilliant tho. seriously

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mike - I'll do a couple of 'what I'd like to do' lists later tonight.

    @Mark - 10 Termagaunts is the minimum I need to take so I can Field The Tervigon's as troops rather than HQ choices. Also as Chumbalaya pointed out Termagaunts get much better once you start to stack all the 'buffs' they can get from other units.
    You are also the only person I know who has ever put 'rate', 'brilliant' and 'pyrovores' in the same sentence without 'lol' being in there somewhere as well. Am I missing some brilliant insight into their usefulness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. suicide. play them as a hive mind would.

    run at the enemy, flamer them if you can and charge hoping to get wounded. then laugh as the enemy takes initative tests, marines would die on a 5/6 for every wound they cause (no saves). plus instant death would casue a str 3 blast as well as two lots of acid blood (you took 2 wounds)

    also no one else takes them i think people would ignore them some as they are universally viewed as naff

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mark - are you reading the same Pyrovore rules as me? As it appears to me to be a piss weak piece of crap armed with a Heavy Flamer, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you read my first word? :P

    thats the best bit is the average/poor profile , its not meant to survive, its strength is in the acid blood rule and not to be fielded as single units, 2 or 3 and get to combat with as few wounds taken as possible before. especially brilliant against an ork mob or anything low I.

    get to combat, you die to boys, 2 wounds taken, thats 2 Initative tests per model in the unit. the ork player rolls a 4+ and that model dies with no saves, no rolling to wound, and he has to roll twice, roughly 2/3rds of the unit dead.

    its not meant to live, your a hive mind near vast unlimited resources, throw them at the enemy and recover the bio mass after battle.

    look at them differently to other units.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read it, but unless I've missed some reference to a 12" charge range and Fleet or the ability to Deep Strike and charge you could take 9 of those things and still not one would ever reach any Marine Army I've ever written, lol. Even Orks could shoot those to death before they reached them. Not that they'd need to be a target priority as they could barely scratch the paintwork on my vehicles anyway.

    Also the rule for Acid Blood says 'For every unsaved wound a model with acid blood suffers in close combat, the enemy unit that struck the blow must pass an initiative test or suffer a wound'.That means even if the unit of pyrovores still had all 6 wounds the worse that would happen would be you'd have to take 6 Initiative tests. So your Orks would butcher that 3 pyrovore unit before it got a chance to hit back, then have to take 6 initiative tests (for the six wounds caused) and with average rolls lose 4 boyz. I'll take losing 24 points of Orks in exchange for 135 points worth of pyrovores any day of the week. Also because the unit of Pyrovores would be dead before the Nob needed to hit there wouldn't even be any Instant Death hits to trigger the 'volatile' rule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you miss read acid blood its for every wound the pyrovore suffers, not takes, you can suffer more wounds than you take. (suffering wounds occurs before taking saves (p.20 brb ) i'll admit acid blood is a bit sketchy as a rule but i think its the RAI).

    and they can upgrade to deepstikre in a spore. and even with IB they can fire the flamer :) and instead of orks consider terminators

    brilliant as an in your face early distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mark - I fail to see how you can make me take more than 6 Initiative tests when the rule says unsaved wounds, you can only have 6 unsaved wounds because after that your dead.

    As for deepstriking them in, most decent Marine armies (and all of mine) have a lot of mid to short range firepower that they never get to use early on as the enemy is out of range. Anything you drop in Flamer Range will get to singe the front armour of something before disappearing in a hail of Plasma and or Bolter shells.

    You'll never convince me that against anybody who can walk and chew gum at the same time you'll ever do anything useful with a Pyrovore unit, but I'll make a deal with you, you make a Tyranid army with pyrovores and I'll buy you a beer for every one that reaches my army and kills something ;-). I'm reasonably sure that I'll owe you about...no beers whatsoever, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. deal! though the finanial ddifference of tyranid army against beers means you'll have to wait a bit.

    it comes down to the word suffers and when that occurs, if its before saves are taken i can have many more than 6 wounds applied to my unit.

    and why would i go for front armour with a flamer give me some credit at least :p

    plus theres more than your mech armies around anything unmeched will be a lot more vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gmort: Here are my questions.

    Are you limiting yourself to 1750 for any particular reason?

    Why not two Tyrannofexes?

    Why a Swarmlord?

    Why why why?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Stelek - 1750 is about the normal points value around here but I'm not adverse to 2000.
    I only have 3 Carnifex to convert and I figured I needed 2 Tervigons so that only left 1 to turn into a Tyrannofex.
    With that In mind and with the models I had meaning I probably needed to use the Genestealers I figured turning the Hive Tyrant into a Swarmlord would help out the Genestealers and would also use the only real HQ model I had.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails