Tuesday 25 February 2014

A Load of Balls...

Though I'm not a massive fan of real life sports, I've always had a soft spot for ones of the board game variety...unfortunately most of them were crap...then I was introduced to Blood Bowl by a fellow hobbyist and enjoyed it greatly but I'm one of those hobbyists who gets distracted by other things unless there's a consistent flow of new models, rules supplements, etc.


So Blood Bowl (though excellent in many respects) lost my interest due to Games Workshops abandonment of it and my lack of interest in most sports returned...

I was amazed that full contact underwear chess never really caught on...
Fortunately, Mantic Games then gave us Dreadball...


...it was different enough from Blood Bowl to have it's own character but shared it's general appeal in the areas of maiming your opponents and occasionally remembering there was a ball somewhere that we were meant to be doing something with. They've recently started a new Kickstarter in the form of Dreadball Xtreme but by a strange coincidence of timing they're not the only company Kickstarting a game involving balls..

Here's the three I'm looking at currently...

Dreadball Xtreme.



The Dreadball Xtreme Kickstarter page can be found here.

Guild Ball.


The Guild Ball Kickstarter page can be found here.

Slaughterball.


The Slaughterball Kickstarter page can be found here.

I'm already pledged in quite a big way to Mantic Games's Dreadball Xtreme and in a lesser manner to Guild Ball but all three have features in them that make them worth having a look at. In any Kickstarter certain things leap out at you and I must admit the style of Guild Ball has certain appeals and in particular this team of morticians made me pay attention.


Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like everyone wants to make the next Blood Bowl. Any thoughts on Kaosball?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the models were nice but the game as a whole failed to grab me. No-one locally expressed an interest either which can be a factor in game choice as an opponent is kinda necessary for these things...

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails