Friday 5 July 2013

Kings of War - Undead - Part 1

I never thought I'd be messing around with mass assembly, movement trays and worrying about whether I need banners and/or musicians in units ever again. This was primarily due to the fact that the most recent incarnation of Warhammer Fantasy cured me of any desire to play such a system...ever again...

...Or so I thought....


Then some of the locals introduced me to Mantic's Kings of War system. It had the features I liked and not the ones I didn't which by any set of standards is a good thing (I'll go into more detail about the system in later articles) so I bought some of their undead models and was pleasantly surprised in two areas. Firstly they were very reasonably priced and secondly the models were far better quality than I could have expected for the aforementioned low cost.

As Kings of War doesn't require you to remove individual models but treats the unit as a single entity it leaves far more scope for creating more interesting looking units with more of a 'diorama' feel. Of course your also free to rank them up in nice neat lines if you wish. Other than a 'leader' model front and centre (for some Line of Sight' purposes) you can (within reason) do whatever you wish.

I have therefore decided to theme my undead army as if it's sweeping through a graveyard summoning 'new' recruits as it goes. The following units are glued down but are yet to be based with sand or under-coated but you should be able to get an idea of the look I'm going for.

This is an 'Endless Horde' of zombies (10 wide in 6 ranks). I've tried to make it look like it's arriving in several waves with more corpses rising as they pass...


The rats are there for a bit of character and also to tie these units into some others that will have bits 'borrowed' from my Skaven army (again I'll go into more depth on this later).

The Ghoul units are smaller (5 wide x 4 deep). Each base has a larger grave (more like a crypt actually) on it as in my head at least that's the sort of place that Ghouls hang out...




I'll be working on this army a fair bit over the weekend and I'll do a few more posts on my progress as I go.

Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, particularly like that crypt unit filler idea.

    Glad to see others jumping on board the mantic train, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much all the units are going to be in that style.

      I'm currently awaiting some graveyard bits and pieces from various companies in order to give some of the more elite undead models a bit of a higher status look to their Grave-sites.

      I'm becoming quite a fan of Mantic's product range and their prices are very reasonable indeed.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails