Thursday 27 March 2014

Upcoming Guild Project...Maybe...

Like most hobbyists I have far more ideas than I do time or money and I'd be the first to admit that a great many of my ideas never get past the 'that would be cool...' phase.

Even the projects that reach the 'I've bought all the parts' stage sometimes never go beyond that which is most likely one of the reasons why my hobby room looks like a miniatures warehouse that's had a fragmentation grenade fired into it...

And your sure this is how you tidy a room?!?!?
Therefore there's a very good chance that this idea will remain just an idea or maybe it's one of the ones that will make it through the tidal wave of distractions and actually become a reality...at this point your guess is as good as mine, lol.

Onto the idea then...


It occurred to me that despite the number of Malifaux Guild faction leaders that are female there are very few Guild 'rank and file' models that are actually female. Amongst the Guild Guard models we have a Captain (he's named in M2E but not in 1.5), Drill Sergeant, three different Guild Guards, three Guild Riflemen, two Austringers and a Lawyer amongst others and of those I've listed only one is a female model...this one in fact...

There are however some issue with 'Counts-as' forces especially in a game with a fairly unique style such as Malifaux has. Amongst those is that using an existing female model from the game of Malifaux itself and using it to 'count-as' something else is inevitably going to cause some confusion. Though I could easily buy a box of Ronin and paint their clothes in a Guild colour scheme and call them 'Guild Guards' this is going to create some confusion for my opponents, create issues in any tournament environment that I may find myself in as well as being slightly unsatisfying in terms of the theme I'm going for. Though the confusion could be lessened by simply painting an existing female biased crew (like the Viktorias for example) in a Guild colour scheme and using that crews own rules they wouldn't really be Guild Guards in the way that I wish. If I remove the tournament issue from the equation (I rarely play in them anyway these days) then proxy models become an option and as I intend on converting them to match the theme anyway we can drag them from 'proxy' to 'counts-as' status fairly simply.

Of course cost is an issue as well. Though I could probably mash something together by using parts from half a dozen different Malifaux sets I don't really want to spend a hundred pounds plus just to get five converted female models I like the look of...




I actually have a few models that may be useful for this project...actually they were bought for another project...you know...one of those 'I've bought all the parts' ones that I mentioned earlier...



...Though somewhat strangely I'm thinking that the more futuristic versions might fit the theme better as actual models though certain of the weapons would need changing...typically for my forward planning skills those weren't the ones I actually bought. They look like this...


So this bright idea is probably going to cost me whatever those three models cost (around £35 with postage...more for the resin versions) or whatever the cost of other proxies is that I might discover works out as. I am of course open to any other suggestions that any-one might have as long as they don't involve me needing to learn high level sculpting techniques or win the lottery, lol.

Thoughts and comments are (as usual) most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails